macOS Sonoma, designated as version 14, stands as the most recent significant update to Apple’s operating system for Macintosh computers. Unveiled at WWDC 2023 on June 5, 2023, and subsequently launched on September 26, 2023, this release follows in the footsteps of macOS Ventura. Noteworthy is its nomenclature, drawing inspiration from the wine region situated in California’s Sonoma County.
macOS Sonoma is designed to work seamlessly with the following Mac models. You can find a comprehensive list of compatible models at https://support.apple.com/kb/HT213772. The compatibility includes:
– MacBook Pro models introduced in 2018 or later
– MacBook Air models introduced in 2018 or later
– Mac mini models introduced in 2018 or later
– iMac models introduced in 2019 or later
– iMac Pro
– Mac Studio models introduced in 2022 or later
– Mac Pro models introduced in 2019 or later
Prior to the upgrade, it’s advisable to create a backup. Utilize an external storage device and employ Time Machine to safeguard your Mac data.
Download and install macOS Sonoma
To download and install the latest version of macOS Sonoma, follow these steps:
1. Using System Settings:
– Click on the Apple menu in the top-left corner of your screen.
– Choose System Preferences and select General in the sidebar.
– Click on Software Update on the right.
2. For Earlier macOS Versions:
– Navigate to the Apple menu > System Preferences
– Click on Software Update
3. Spotlight Search:
– Access Spotlight by clicking on the magnifying glass icon in your menu bar.
– Search for Software Update and open it from the search results.
4. For Older Macs without Software Update:
– If your older Mac doesn’t have Software Update, locate and download macOS Sonoma from the App Store. For older Macs without Software Update, resort to the App Store in your Applications folder. Access the Updates tab to check for updates or search for the software by name.
Using Software Update is not only the fastest but also the easiest way to obtain macOS upgrades. Additionally, it might require less storage space for both downloading and installing the update, ensuring a smooth process for your Mac.
In my case, I have iMac Pro with macOS Mojave, so using Software Update
Click on Upgrade Now
Downloading Sonoma will start, if you want to keep your Mac always update to date, click the checkbox beside Automatically keep my Mac up to date
The Install macOS Sonoma windows will open, click Continue
Click the Agree button to agree on the terms of the software license agreement
Confirm the agreement by clicking the Agree button again
Sonoma will be installed on the Macintosh HD Disk, click Continue, if you have multiple disks inside your Mac, click Show All Disks… choose the disk you wish to install on and then click Continue.
You will be asked to enter your account password. The account that you will enters its password should be an administrator password. Once entered, click OK
Once loading the installer is ready, click Restart
Your Mac will restart and installing Sonoma will begin. Congrats.
Once you computer finishes upgrading Sonoma, login to your account , select if you want to share analytics and Siri audio with Apple and click Continue.
With this you have successfully upgrade your Mac to macOS Sonoma.